I love buying one-of-a-kind pieces. They add spice and pizzazz to my closet. Who doesn’t like owning an item that you know no one else will own? Nevertheless, a good closet needs a solid foundation: versatile items that you can pair with almost anything. Here are seven essential items every woman needs in her closet:
1. The “It Girl” Dress. Every woman should have that “it” dress in her closet. It’s the dress that brings out your best and helps you to feel like the radiant and confident woman that you are. The dress should be in a color that you like and of your choice (no!, it doesn’t have to be black).
2. A Classic Blazer. Blazers are versatile pieces that can instantly transform an otherwise casual outfit. A blazer can add sophistication to a relaxed jeans and tee look, upgrade a blouse and mini skirt outfit or help you portray professionalism for that important business meeting.
3. A pair of black or nude pumps. Black or nude pumps are must have wardrobe staples for every regal woman. I like the stiletto style as a foundational piece because it can easily take you from a work event to a hot date or a night out with your friends. A tip for foundational shoes: choose quality. These are shoes you’ll probably be wearing a lot. Invest in a great pair.
4. A Stylish Everyday Bag. This is your essential bag, the bag you take with you to work, to important meetings, and/or to run errands. While I do think it’s best to choose a neutral shade (neon just doesn’t go with everything), it doesn’t mean that your bag should be boring. There are tons of shapes and designs to choose from to suit your style and personality.
5. The “perfect” pair of jeans. Admittedly, I still haven’t found my perfect pair, although I’ve come pretty close. You know the pair I’m talking about, the jeans that modestly accentuates your assets. Dark washes pair well with everything. Focus on fit when buying your jeans, and go for the pair that fits you well.
6. Classic Ballet flats. My shoes du jour on the days that I don’t want to wear heels or for the moments when I prefer absolute comfort. Ballet flats will never go out of style
7. A nice watch. Growing up, my mother always told me that a woman who wears a watch takes her time seriously. Whether that’s true or not, it stuck with me. Not only can a watch ensure your punctuality, it is also a great layering piece for the times you want to rock arm candy.